Thursday, March 7, 2013

Ho'okipa Beach, Maui

Ho'okipa Beach
Traveling to Hawaii is really expensive, especially if you live on the eastern side of the United States. I'm from Boston so getting to Maui can be a real hassle. By the time I dish out money for my hotel room and rental car, I really like to find a cheap place to unwind. There are so much things to do in Maui that cost less than $10. 
Ho'okipa Beach from the lookout
During the winter months this beach offers some killer waves. Many of the worlds best wind and kite surfers try to dominated the raging waves. It's during the winter months were this beach and the lookout can be packed. However, I went during the middle of August and the lookout was empty and there were only a few wind surfers in the water that day. It cost nothing to park and you are free to get out and explore the surroundings. There is a barrier fence that tries to keep people back from the cliff but it is easy to climb through and get a closer look. I hopped the fenced and found a trail that lead me down to a beautiful and peaceful spot. There were natural pools where I saw locals swimming and the water is crystal clear in those pools. Tourists and locals seem to like to write there names or messages in the sand here, so I followed tradition and wrote my name in the sand. Caution: Careful getting too close to the edge it's a steep drop off.  

Trail heading down. Privately own farm land on the right 

No comments:

Post a Comment