For this weeks 50 State Challenge I am going to be highlighting Buffalo Trace Distillery in Kentucky. Buffalo Trace Distillery is located in Frankfort, Kentucky and is the oldest continuously operating distillery in the United States. The distillery is located on what the company claims was once an ancient buffalo crossing on the banks of the Kentucky River. In 2001, Buffalo Trace Distillery was listed on the National Register of Historic places and in 2013 it became a National Historic Landmark.
|Heaven in a bottle!|
- The Trace Tour - This tour is complimentary and includes a tasting of there products. Visitors are welcome to walk in with no reservation needed unless you have a group of 25 or more. During the tour you will watch a video about the history of the distillery, walk along the path of rolling bourbon barrels. Venture through warehouses and explore Blanton's Bottling Hall where you will witness the bourbons being filled, labeled, sealed and packaged. This tour last one hour and runs every hour on the hour from 9 am to 4 pm.
- Hard Hat Tour - Requires a reservation. It runs Monday - Friday at 10:30 am and 1:30 pm. It last one hour. This tour is an insiders look into the behind the scenes work. You can witness the grain delivery, cooking process, fermentation and distillation. Also included in the tour is a stop at E.H. Taylor Jr Microstill, where unique and award winning Experimental Collection whiskies are made. This tour is complimentary and also includes a tasting.
- National Historic Landmark Tour - Requires a reservation and last one hour. Monday - Friday 11:30 am. This tour is complimentary and also includes a tasting. This is an educational tour that focuses on the buildings, architecture and the history of the years between 1933-1953.
- Bourbon Barrel Tour - Requires a reservation and last one hour. Monday - Friday 9:30 am. This tour is complimentary and also includes a tasting. During this tour you learn about the barrels on their journey throughout the distillery.
- Ghost Tour - Requires a reservation and last one hour. Thursday - Saturday starting at 7 pm. This tour is complimentary and also includes a tasting. The distillery was featured on Ghost Hunters and has long been rumored to have been haunted. On this tour you can hear legendary stories and visit haunted sites, including the rarely visited Stony Point Mansion.
Even if you do not have time for the tour, you can still stop by and enjoy a tasting!
113 GREAT BUFFALO TRACE
FRANKFORT, KY 40601